2 On The Road Blog

After 12 years of full-time rving, we've sold our truck and trailer but we're still traveling. Email us at wowpegasus@hotmail.com if you would like to contact us.




Monday, October 17, 2022

Great Barrier Reef

Our first full day in Australia included trips out to the Great Barrier Reef.  My sister opted for a half hour trip out to the Low Isles (#34 & #35) while my trip went much further out (top of photo)

My trip had three stops - #6 Anybody's, #13 Halloween and #17 Playground.

My sister's trip with Calypso Cruises left bright and early at 7:15 am from the Crystalbrook Marina.

The Low Isles is a small coral cay consisting of two islands located roughly 15 miles east of Port Douglas.  Low Island is a small, round island with thick tropical vegetation.  On the island are a lighthouse, a small research station, and lodging for the island custodians.  Woody Island is larger but uninhabited by human because it mostly consists of mangroves.  This is home to many nesting birds and is protected with limited human interaction.  The islands are surrounded by a tropical reef. 

My sister enjoyed a trip on a boat with glass viewing ports on the bottom so she could see the reef. 



She also enjoyed some time on Low Island.  Click to enlarge for reading. 



What island trip would be complete without some beach time.


 

My trip started at 8:15 from the same harbor.  


Everybody was checked in and given fins and a snorkel mask.  We would told not to wear shoes but I had been dealing with some planter fasciitis and was allowed to keep my water shoes on. 


The boat had three levels but I made my home on the second level and never ventured to the top deck.  

There was also a seating area on the bow.

The bottom deck was where all the action happened.  We entered the water from the steps that ran across the back of the boat.  Boat personnel kept a close eye out when everyone exited the boat.  I even saw one free dive down about 30' to a scuba diver. 

All the scuba gear was in the middle of the bottom deck.  I had initially planned to scuba but my cardiologist said no.   Below are some videos and photos I took while snorkeling.  Double click to run videos. 





One of the places we visited had giant clams, the largest living bivalve mollusk with an average lifespan of around 100 years. They can weigh up to 550 pounds.  They display a wide variety of colors which are created by a contrast between algae inside the clam and the clam’s natural pigment.

Sorry I didn't take the time to learn how to properly take photos underwater as these photos don't begin to show the colors I saw. 






No comments: